CALL FOR APPLICANTS
Canada Research Chair in Cultural Studies Postdoctoral Fellowship (2014-2015)
“Energy / Materialism / Infrastructure”
Value: $46,000 CAD
In conjunction with an on-going research project on oil, energy and culture, the Canada Research Chair in Cultural Studies at the University of Alberta is sponsoring a Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF) for the 2014-2015 academic year (July 2014-June 2015). The theme of this PDF is “Energy / Materialism / Infrastructure.” Junior scholars engaged in work across the disciplines, who have defended their dissertations within the past three years (January 1, 2011-March 1, 2014), and whose research falls within the range of issues mapped out by this theme, are welcome to apply.
“Energy / Materialism / Infrastructure” concerns the social, cultural and political possibilities and/or limits generated by the dominant forms of energy used in a given period. Potential fellows will be engaged in research on topics and issues such as:
- the analysis of representations, narratives and discourses of energy and/or material resources within different cultural forms and media;
- the social, political and cultural force exerted by existing forms of physical infrastructure, including their impact on political change and social justice;
- the role played by access to resources in shaping the varied structures (material as well as immaterial) that make up modernity;
- new materialisms and/or other philosophical and theoretical discourses related to energy, resources, and infrastructure;
- the shape and character of post-petrocarbon culture and society;
- public policy with respect to energy and infrastructure, especially as this relates to social change and development.
The research carried out by this PDF will generate a better understanding of the connections between energy, society, and culture, and the difficulties and opportunities that will arise as global society transitions to other energy forms and practices.
Finally, there may be an opportunity for this PDF to teach a one-term undergraduate class, for which they would be separately compensated.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2013
Application Materials: Please include: (1) a cover letter describing your PhD project, the date of your PhD defence, and the fit of your postdoctoral research with the theme of this PDF; (2) a full CV, including the names and contact information of three individual who may be contacted for reference letters; and (3) a writing sample (25 pages or less). Send these materials, either as .docx or .pdf, to: email@example.com . Make sure to specify “CRC PDF application – name” in the subject line.